Saturday, December 6, 2008

So I Admit I'm a Lactavist

This is my official breastfeeding testimonial. You have been spared many breastfeeding diatribes on this blog thus far so I think one is in order. Breastfeeding was NOT easy for us at first. Lucy could not latch at first and after consulting several lactation consultants at the hospital a plan was devised. I would use a nipple shield and pump 15 minutes before and after each nursing session. Here's the thing newborns nurse every 2 hours (from the beginning of a session) and for 20 minutes on each breast so if you do the math 30 min of pumping plus 40 min of nursing leaves less than 1 hour for being up and mobile. The first 5 days were the hardest days of my life. I was exhausted and I really really thought that this nursing thing was not going to work out. My original goal going into having a baby was 6 months of breastfeeding, but in those first few days I believed I was watching my breastfeeding relationship crash and burn before it ever took off. So I decided to revise my goals. I would just keep breastfeeding today and maybe I'd stop tomorrow. Surprisingly, we made it through one week then two, three and before you knew it we were at 6 weeks and finally able to wean Lucy from the nipple shield. Things were going pretty well at that point and I was growing more confident. Then I went back to work and it was a constant battle to pump enough for daycare. Pumping did help me feel more connected to Lucy when I was away from her because I was caring for her even when I wasn't with her, but it was also a real pain and I was always stressed about pumping enough. I soldiered on, however, telling myself- just make it through this week. Finally, I found my groove with pumping. Then Lucy sprouted teeth. The bottom teeth were no problem, but the top teeth were a whole different story. It took several months for us to work through teething issues, but we persevered and made it to 6 months and beyond. Last week Lucy turned 1 and we are still nursing. Recently, I have had several people ask (with a tone that implies they think I should quit nursing now) if I'm STILL nursing or just how LONG do I plan to continue. Well, let me answer that question with some facts. Breast fed babies have been shown to be slightly more intelligent and this increases with the amount of time they are breast fed. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding (no solid food at all) until 6 months then continued breastfeeding with solid feeding until at LEAST one year. The World Health Organization recommends 2 years. So I plan to breast feed until around 2. Breastfeeding has already been extremely beneficial to both Lucy and me. She hasn't had a single ear infection or any reason to be on antibiotics her entire first year. She has never ever been constipated or had problems with gas. I have never had to purchase formula and nursing her reminded me and forced me in the early days to slow down. It still does actually. I have to sit and take a break to feed her and they are precious moments when I am able to focus just on her. Anytime, she is hurt and needs comfort I have the the ultimate comfort food for her. So while it hasn't always been easy or convenient it has been rewarding and we have made it to 1 year! The key was persistence and taking it one day at a time and I am so glad that I didn't give up and I am thankful for all the support from other mothers along the way. So in celebration- here's a sneak peak at one of Lucy's 12 month portraits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, you've sold me! Congrats, A, for your persistence. Lucy is lucky to have such a devoted mother.