Friday, March 7, 2008

Plumpynut

From time to time you may hear Wes or I refer to Lucy as Plumpynut.  I thought I'd take a minute to explain the origins of this nickname.  
A couple of days before I went into labor we watched a special on PBS about a product called Plumpynut.  It is a substance made primarily out of peanut butter, dried milk, and multivitamins.  It is calorically dense and apparently tastes great.  It is very cheap to manufacture and is being used to save children in 3rd world countries from starvation.  I am adding a picture of the product to prove that it is a real thing.  If you don't believe me google it.  It's amazing stuff because it is saving lots of lives.  What does this have to do with Lucy you might ask?  Well, immediately after birth we were having quite a hard time with breastfeeding and I was freaking out that she was starving to death.  In an attempt to lighten the mood (or perhaps just because Wes and I are both bad about joking at inappropriate times) Wes said we were going to have to feed her plumpynut and I replied "No she is a little plumpynut"
Thus a nickname was born.  In subsequent days she learned to nurse quite well and is living up to the nickname.  We call her Plumpy, Nut, Nutter, Plumpynutter, and pretty much any other derivation of Plumpynut that we can come up with.  Will we still call her this if she turns out to be an obese child or teenager?  I don't know- let's hope we don't ever have to find out.

1 comment:

Wes said...

it ws anderson cooper on 60 minutes doing the plumpynut story, not PBS. part of the fun was the way he said the word.